Monday, January 3, 2011

A new year... a new resolution

"Everything happens for a reason". Those were the words I repeated over and over again in my head when I received an email late last week in which the contents completely threw me off course...

Hi Danielle,
Unfortunately at this time, we are now fully staffed. I will let you know if another position opens up in the future.
Best, Saskia
Michael Kors

I read it at least four or five times, each time more confused than the last. What had happened between now and the day that I walked into Michael Kors on New Bond st in London for my interview? Even prior to meeting with Saskia, we had spoken on the phone and she had seemed so eager to meet me after telling her about my previous experience with the company. The interview itself could not have gone any better, I strutted into that store with confidence and determination, I wanted this job, which was a new and unsettling feeling for me. After the interview was over, Saskia told me she would love for me to be involved with the new store, and even though they were fully staffed she could bring me on part time to start. She then preceded to show me pictures and floor layouts of the new store. It was breathtaking, floor to ceiling windows and pristine white display cases spanning over two floors. I could smell the leather of the handbags as I flipped through the pages. As we said our goodbyes I felt like we were new best friends, she said she would call me in a week, and I walked out of the store with a smile on my face and a skip in my step.

Fast forward a month later, I am sitting in front of my computer reading this email yet again. After a few days of panic and self pity, I started to think about what it was I was really upset about. Yes, working at a brand new Michael Kors store in the heart of London would have been an amazing opportunity, but at what cost? Well first off, I could definitely kiss any chance of traveling throughout Europe during my stay here goodbye. London would surely exhaust the majority of my income. Not to mention Saskia said if she were to hire me she could only offer me a part time position to start, I would have to find another job, probably at some nightclub bartending until six in the morning. So yes, I would be living in one of the most exciting cities in the world, but I would probably be too exhausted and broke to enjoy it! It's not that I'm against working hard, but I didn't leave a great job, an amazing apartment, and my friends and family all in San Diego to fly half way across the world to get sucked into the fast paced stressful life that comes with residing in London.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that this rejection from Michael Kors was a sign, a wake up call if you will. This whole time I thought that working for Michael Kors in London was a once in a lifetime opportunity, but it's being here in Europe... that's the opportunity I came here for. For Gods sake my  blog is called "Confessions of a Travel Queen" and the only place I have been is the UK. No wonder I only have nine followers!!!

So now I begin a new year, as well as celebrating my 25th birthday. Twenty-five, I am still not sure how I feel about hitting the quarter century mark. On one hand, I look forward to the year ahead and the new experiences that will come with it. On the other hand, fear and uncertainty settle in as I begin to over analyze every move that I have made up until this point and will make over the next year. If there is one thing I am certain about, it's that I'm not going to sit back and watch this year pass me by. In twenty years I am going to look back and remember my 25th year... as the year I was a travel queen. First stop, Paris :)

Xoxo


Danielle

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about that job! But I also agree that it just probably wasn't meant to be and something better will come along. Shoot...I have my master's degree and I can't even get into an internship to become a Dietitian (which, by the way, only requires a Bachelor's!)...such a bummer but I wish you all the best and don't give up!!

    ReplyDelete