Friday, April 1, 2011

La de da de da ...These are a few of my favorite things

In light of the fact that my last blog post was somewhat depressing, I have decided to share with you all a few things that I am excited about/ put a smile on my face at the moment in the hopes of lifting everyones (mostly mine) spirits.....

Working at the Mint Hotel...


Ok so the job itself is nothing spectacular, and dealing with the clientele can be trying at times (this week we had about fifty middle age woman staying in the hotel for some convention who decided to take over the sky lounge. It reminded me of that scene from The Witches... I was just waiting for them to peel off their masks and fly away on brooms), but working for a hotel does have its perks. My fellow bartenders are a group of wonderfully entertaining people. My favorite is Dean.. philosophy professor/musician/stoner/bartender extraordinaire. Going out for a night with him is like getting to sit in on a free lecture, I love how he can turn anything into a philosophical discussion. Like the time we were all supposed to go out and I was complaining that the Mint forgot to pay me and I was completely broke and he went off on some "money isn't real" speech. I was like, ok honey, that's nice and all... but I can't buy my drinks with hugs and kisses. Also, being employed at the hotel means that I get staff discounts at any other Mint Hotel, so when Shane comes out in June and we go to Amsterdam, we will not be staying in some dingy little hostel that smells of dirty prostitutes and bong water.. oh no. We will be staying in a 5 star hotel... that will most likely smell of dirty prostitutes and bong water, this is Amsterdam were talking about, you can't escape it.

Neon Cactus....

 It's not a new revelation that I love the Neon Cactus, as any of my friends here in Leeds will tell you. With its extensive selection of tequila, laid back venue, and indie electro beats playing all night long...the moment I step into Neon off the cold street I feel like I am transported back to San Diego. For my friends back home I would describe this place as a mash up between Mas Fina Cantina and RA, even the bartenders all look like they stumbled out of the Saloon. I have yet to try their take on Mexican cuisine (because I have yet to go before 10pm) but it's at the top of my list! I'm sure it will be a pathetic attempt at quesidillas and tacos covered in bland salsa, but nonetheless they will forever have my undying love.

The Matt Belmont Band




With his soulful voice and swoonworthy looks, I have no doubt that Matt Belmont is going to be the next big thing, and I will admit I am a total groupie. I have never seen anyone work as hard as he does, whether it be running the open mic night every week at my bar, playing gigs all around town, performing for the crowds passing through the city centre, or sitting for hours on facebook promoting himself.. haha. I also have to give him credit for helping me build enough confidence to get up and play every week (and I'm sure if he was here he would like to give me credit for inspiring him to start a blog). I posted his facebook link so check him out.. as well as a cover of Jessie J's price tag :)


http://www.facebook.com/#!/mattbelmontmusic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_UhPVabtP8

The reemergence of the spring wardrobe....

After a long winter clad in nothing but sweaters,bulky coats and the signature opaque tights... to my delight the local shops have been made over with white denim, floral prints and fun and flirty dresses to get ready for the spring. Words cannot describe how elated I am to be able to walk outside my door in a t-shirt, blazer and my favorite pair of R&R jeans. NO scarf, NO coat and NO gloves :) Now all I need to do is work on my tan so in a couple months I can pull out my shorts from the bottom of my suitcase.
 19 year old guys...

Haha just kidding, but after receiving some feedback on my last post the overwhelming consensus was... just have fun! Like I said before I am only here for a few more months, I don't have the time to take things too seriously. So from this point forward I am worrying about one thing and one thing only... what makes me happy :)

xoxo

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment